Our CBD Cookie recipe is the most delicious way to get your daily fix of CBD. CBD is usually ingested by using CBD oil droppers on the tongue (or topically via CBD-infused skin creams), but using CBD as an ingredient in your home baking is a simple and versatile way of enjoying our natural plant extract in all its glory.
Due to its unique natural flavour, we find that using CBD oil in recipes which have a naturally rich, earthy flavour is the best way to bring out the ingredients and complement the taste of both cookie and CBD extract.
We’re proud to say that all EthicaCBD products are vegan friendly so we don’t think our recipes should be any different. That’s why this CBD chocolate chip cookie recipe is vegan friendly too!
We hope you enjoy this delicious vegan CBD chocolate chip cookie recipe – please let us know how you enjoyed the end result. These CBD cookies are a big favourite here at EthicaCBD HQ!
Table of Contents
Before We Start Baking – Are CBD Cookies Legal in the UK?
CBD is a carefully-controlled botanical extract which has more in common with other plant extracts like ginkgo biloba or green tea extract than any illegal substances, so yes – CBD is legal in the UK.
CBD is the acronym for ‘cannabinoid’ – one of the numerous compounds found in the hemp plant. THC is another of these compounds, and the one which gives cannabis its psychoactive properties (making THC illegal). The fact that both are compounds derived from the cannabis plant is perhaps where the confusion lies, but our range of Pure CBD oil undergoes a strict refinement process meaning it is completely free from THC, so you can rest assured that making and enjoying CBD cookies are completely legal and enjoyable pastime!
Why Put CBD in Food?
Using CBD in food and drink adds an extra dimension to your diet and an extra opportunity to enjoy the benefits. CBD is now as commonly acknowledged in the wellness space as any other vitamin or mineral that promotes wellbeing. Hemp seeds are a source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fibre, essential fatty acids and amino acids, all of which contribute to a healthy body and mind.
Putting CBD in food makes it more easily-accessible to the casually-curious, which is perhaps the reason why CBD recipes are becoming so popular amongst healthy living advocates. Adding CBD oil to your food complements carefully-chosen ingredients and is the perfect enhancement to your daily wellbeing routine.
Early evidence suggests that using CBD in high-fat foods (like cookies or brownies) aids the body’s absorption of the botanical when compared to other types of foods. Many people use CBD in their recipes as they like the slower effect that ingesting CBD has upon the body. When you eat foods infused with CBD, the herbal extract enters the body more slowly than when you take CBD oil sublingually. Foods containing CBD must first pass through the digestive system before eventually entering your bloodstream. This means that the effects are not felt as quickly and may not be as potent as when using a dropper or spray which might be a preferable method for some.
How Much CBD Should You Use in our CBD Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe?
Unfortunately, the internet is awash with misinformation regarding CBD and its uses. Even when it is sold as a simple oil or supplement, the guidance around CBD and its uses can be tricky to decipher. When it’s squirted into a cocktail or baked into shop-bought baked goods however, the information becomes even more opaque. When you buy a CBD cookie from a cafe there’s virtually no way of knowing what or how much you’re taking, and dosage has a big impact on what we know about CBD’s effects so far. For this reason we recommend baking your own CBD cookies so that you can be confident in the amount (and quality) of CBD you’re ingesting.
Using CBD in a chocolate chip cookie is a great way to introduce yourself to this popular nutritional supplement, especially if you haven’t tried it before. It is crucial that you use a carefully-formulated CBD cookie recipe from a reputable CBD producer to ensure that you use the correct amounts and a decent blend. Not all CBD companies are created equal so by choosing a company you trust you will have added peace of mind that you’re not only using the correct amounts, but the CBD you use is natural, ethical, cruelty-free and sustainable.
Baking with CBD may be delicious and simple, but it comes with some rules. Whether you ingest your CBD via droppers, sprays or in CBD cookies, you must ensure that you always keep to this limit and never exceed the suggested daily amount. Our suggested daily limit of 70mg of CBD in any 24 hour period should never be exceeded, no matter how you choose to take it.
You must take into account how many cookies you plan to make, how many you’ll eat, and how much CBD you have stirred into your cookie dough. It’s a simple practice in mathematics – providing that you have stirred the CBD oil thoroughly, the dose you ingest will be the amount you put into the recipe, divided by the amount of cookies you make.
Which CBD Oil should i use in our CBD Cookie recipe?
Here at EthicaCBD we are most proud of our Pure CBD range because it embraces the qualities of other plant extracts, minerals and vitamins. We use MCT oil as the carrier oil for all of our CBD oils because it provides a beautifully balanced oil that is clean, light and the slight hint of coconut complements the flavours perfectly. And to top it off, all of the Pure range is vegan friendly!
Choose Your CBD Blend
- DAY The ‘Day’ blend is often described as ‘sunshine in a bottle’ and people say that after taking it they feel more uplifted and positive than ever before. Looking on the bright side of life is not a natural state for many, but having a negative mindset can stop you from reaching your full potential. This blend contains added chia seed oil and vitamin C which, as well supporting a healthy immune system, can help improve energy and attentiveness. A great addition to your favourite cookie recipe.
- DEFENCE If you are looking to support a healthy lifestyle, the ‘Defence’ blend might be the perfect CBD oil to use in your CBD cookie recipe. We add goji berries in this blend because they have a high vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant content which also may contribute to immune function and eye health. If you’re going to enjoy a cheeky cookie treat, you might as well deliver some goodness at the same time!
- CALM Our ‘Calm’ blend is infused with iodine and eucalyptus, both of which have been found to possess anti-anxiety properties and promote inner calm, so if you are looking to relieve tension then the Calm blend could be the perfect addition to your cookie recipe.
- NIGHT – Our popular ‘Night’ blend would make a great ingredient for cookies that are peacefully dipped in cocoa before bed. The beautifully relaxing night time formula is infused with chamomile, zinc and lavender. Lavender has long been known for relaxing muscles and calming the mind, whilst camomile’s calming effects have been well-known for centuries and used by those looking for a way of achieving deep restfulness.
- BODY The Body oil is a powerful blend of specially-chosen natural extracts that can help reduce pain, relax stiff joints and increase performance. Whether you are a weekend warrior or a seasoned athlete, using the ‘Body’ blend in CBD cookies could be just what you need to aid your recovery and give you a quick and easy way to refuel after a workout.
Important To Consider When Cooking With CBD
There are a few important things to consider when cooking with CBD. From CBD’s potency and its stability when heated, take a look at these 4 essential rules to make sure that you don’t make any mistakes when using CBD in your cookie recipe.
(Note: To ensure these cookies are 100% vegan, please ensure you check the packaging of all the ingredients you use.)
The CBD Cookie Recipe (Vegan Friendly)
(Makes 4 cookies. 10 mins prep. 25 mins total)
- 2 tbsp plant-based unsalted butter, softened
- 55g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of Lecithin (or other vegan egg yolk alternative)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 20 mg CBD oil (4 drops of 10% CBD oil)
- 43g plain flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp (vegan) dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp finely chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp finely chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp flaxseed (also known as linseed)
- Position rack in centre of preheated oven (160°c/140°c fan assisted)
- Mix plant-based butter with sugar in a medium bowl until light and creamy
- Stir in lecithin, vanilla and your choice of CBD oil. Make sure it is stirred through well
- Stir in plain flour, baking soda and salt until just combined
- Stir in chocolate chips, nuts and flaxseeds (you can change/omit any of these according to preference)
- Divide cookie dough into four equal portions. Gently roll each into a ball and arrange, 3 inches apart, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (Cookies will spread as they bake, remember!)
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges for 15 to 18 min
- Let cookies stand on sheet for 2 min, then transfer to a rack to cool completely or serve warm.
How to Store Your Vegan CBD Cookies
These CBD cookies are meant to be consumed almost immediately, and are most delicious when eaten just out of the oven. However, if you plan on storing your CBD cookies, place them in resealable bags and clearly label your treats. Keep them out of reach (and sight!) of children and pets to ensure that they are not accidentally consumed by someone thinking they were normal cookies.
We hope that you love this recipe for Vegan CBD cookies as much as we do. Let us know which of the Pure oils you enjoyed most in your cookies and how they worked for you- we love hearing our customers’ CBD transformation stories!